Day 32 of 40. Depression doesn't always get better

I've mentioned one of the phrases I hate the most. "Don't worry, things will get better." Well guess what? That's a lie. Things don't always get better. I've been this way for almost twenty years. I think if it was going to, it would have by now. Generic phrases like that kills people, because when they hear phrases that have no meaning, no real desire to reach out, they give up on help and commit suicide.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I rather be overly-critical than let someone coast on by around people who are deeply depressed.

Another thing is anger. I use anger because it helps me from being apathetic. If someone with depression is angry, it's good. It's when they no longer have the energy to fight over these things that you should be worried. They've given up. And it should be a warning to you.

That being said, there's a big difference in only using these phrases with someone. Things will get better, just hold on, just be happy. And then there's actively helping someone and using these phrases. It's not the phrase that's bad, it's the lack of real action that is.

If a two hundred pound rock needs to be moved, you telling me it will be better once the rock is moved means nothing. But you standing beside me to help push it and then telling me things will be better once we move it, together, is completely different.

The Bible even uses this analogy in James. Talking about when someone without food or clothing comes and you bless them and send them with nothing. You have done nothing! It's not just Christians, but they're especially bad. They will offer prayers, sentiments and encouragement, but the Bible makes it clear that that isn't doing anything. Meet the physical needs and hurt of the ones in depression or other mental illness. And while you're in the thick of things with them, you pray. The same goes for non-believers. Actions speak louder than words. So if you say things will be better, but do nothing, you're showing the person that you don't really care if things are better.

Again, that's when suicide happens.

It's a point I want to harp in. It's a point I want to be at the forefront of people's mind. It's a point that I want people to be afraid of. Their inaction and just offering words could be killing people. Maybe it will shock them awake to be aware of those in their lives who have become numb and apathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment