Day 15 of 40. God ordered, weight loss

That's right, now I have God on my back about.

Of course, not outright. In fact, it's more of an encouragement to do it. Life is meant to be live healthy and full when you're young. Don't believe me?

A long while ago I didn't really have direction in my devotion. Well, that still is the case often times, but there was a time I didn't seek it either. I would open the bible and flip back and forth, reading a passage or verse here and there, and stop on something I felt drawn to that day. And while I think this can lead to unexpected revelation and growth, I don't recommend it for your daily time with God. He encourages diligence and order when seeking Him, and are given examples of this.

But sometimes God does want us somewhere on the road less traveled. Especially in the Old Testament, I find many books I have only read to read or just passing glances. But if you asked me specific verses, I probably couldn't tell you. Sure if you start stating a passage, I will likely remember such a thing and can finish it for you, but may not know the reference. But so many of the "minor" prophets are passed over for the big ones. The books of history, Ezra, Job, the Psalms or simply the New Testament. Yet hidden within are amazing versus that not only reveal to us more of who God is, but also plans He has for our lives.

The last two chapters for Ecclesiastes was that for me. While just popping my bible open to decide between Psalms, Corinthians or James (my go to when I don't have a plan) it popped open to the last page of Ecclesiastes with the last two chapters. On the adjacent page was an apologetic that my Bible has throughout, that are fascinating in themselves. However, this time I felt compelled to read. And it brought such revelation to things I didn't think of before, I am glad I did.

Chapter 11 deals with the young and 12 with the old. And in the former it ends with the prime of life being fleeting, so put away the pains of the body. Now perhaps I am stretching, but as someone who's been in and out of shape throughout their life (mostly out) but has a hard time sticking to a workout plan due to injury (and laziness, but also a lot of injury) it really stuck out. Many times I have gone to work out only to be stopped one or two in to extreme pain from an old injury. Even now I am nursing a foot that's been nagging for over a year. I could due a long list of injuries that are legitimate to say my goal should be healthy, but not push it. But the passage grabbed me. If God will allow me to put this pain aside, to reach the heights of my prime with my body, then that is exciting! It's not only a motivation to do it, but a comfort that God sees even an earthly endeavor that likely won't have much spiritual impact on others. That He cares for my personal desires and goals.

And that's something to be excited over.

No comments:

Post a Comment