Day 4 of 40. Even Beavis and Butthead

So I had been thinking of another topic today. And in our house's daily routine of most listened to youtube songs, I decided to shake things up. We went from Skillet to Petra and I started traveling down memory lane. Eventually I got thinking about this fun song


I loved it. My kids love it. Everyone should love it. Really there's no reason not to! But one thing that's bugged me, even when I first heard it when I was a lot younger, was the "nah" about Beavis and Butthead. Now I am going to put a caveat here saying, I know Chris Rice meant that nothing more than a little extra comedy in a fun song. By no means do I think he was saying they are truly nonredeemable.

That being said, I really wish it wasn't there. While this song isn't a youtube hit, not even half way to a million views and recent comments all being years old, it still could bring wrong information with such a statement. There's a comment from two years ago that reads "Jesus came especially for the Beavis and Buttheads." And that is exactly the case. He didn't come for the redeemable, but the nonredeemable. Those who could not be saved are those he came and saved. Of  course we learn that all of us were in that position. All of us were as guilty, vulgar, crude and sinful as those two. We need to understand this. The bible talks about those who are forgiven of a great debt are more thankful than those who are forgiven of a minor one. So if anything, Beavis and Butthead should be showing giving praise far more than the rest. (though some of those cartoons have since been given an "adult spin" and aren't far behind.) Of course, those who study the word and draw close to God discover the startling fact, that their isn't a "minor" debt when it comes to sin. It's an infinite one. One that no one can ever hope to pay. So Jesus paying it on the cross should be something worth rejoicing for every day. A belief that Beavis and Butthead are worse than us, should never enter our mind, when we realize just how far Christ went to redeem us from all of our sin.

So I imagine the interaction these two have, once being saved. Something like;

"Hey Beavis, huhuh, isn't God awesome?"

"Yeah Butthead, heheh, He's really awesome. heheh. Score."

And that thought makes me smile. Because I know even someone as shameful as I am can be saved. Just like those two.

No comments:

Post a Comment