Day 22 of 40. Hibernation

So I slept in today and didn't make it to church. Honestly, when it's this cold, I don't feel too bad. I can listen online. And while there is a lot of reasons to attend a physical church versus just listening online, (a lot more single women there than my room for starters) There is a time of life to relax in doors. Especially in a time of life when you're prioritizing things. Striving to carry through your resolve.

I once read an article where scientists have discovered the hibernation gene in human DNA. It's simply dormant. I don't think that's true.  Because I swear mine is active. I am not a morning person. Or cold. Or one for driving. This makes excuses really easy in the winter to skip church. Excuses are bad when you're trying to make changes. But do they come so easy.

But it did get me thinking. Is a time of rest bad? Solomon speaks about those who find excuses to fold their hands or take a nap. It's not good words he has to say about them either. Yet when talking about the Sabbath, the day of rest, Jesus says something profound. The Sabbath wasn't created to enslave men to it. Rather, it was created because it was a good thing for men to do. It was good for us to rest and relax. To enjoy creation without worry or slaving ourselves with what needs to be done.

More and more psychology tells us the virtue of having a "Sabbath." Mental and physical health are greatly increased when we allow ourselves a break from the day to day grind. And while Solomon condemns laziness as foolishness, he also says there's a time for working and rest. In the "rat race" how quickly is our casual time swallowed in this day and age? And it's not just the world, even in the church people become so busy doing "good" that they don't take a Sabbath for themselves. Serving, outreach, ministries all these great things, have become a job and chore they feel makes them a better, more godly person. Yet are they all necessary? Does there need to be another children's choir practice this day? Or a church led class on another? Are we so busy doing stuff "for" God that we forget to do what God wants for us? Have we replaced a day of rest for an extra day of planning to do good?

Something that I have often heard from people who work in a church, is that they've felt far more fulfilled when they started telling people no. When they delegate work, cancel a program or simply don't volunteer for something that needs help. Don't mistake my intention, serving in a church is a wonderful thing, but so often people sign up for three ministries, when often they're called for one. They "fill in" in a role and become a permanent fixture instead of a temporary stopgap. The examples are endless, that when people realize God wanted them to prioritize time in specific areas, especially alone time with Him, that their efforts begin producing far greater results. And one thing that God wanted for us to do, is to rest. Enjoy creation. Even though He did not need to, He still chose to.

This does not excuse me from doing what I ought to do. But it is something to think about, when making priorities for your life. I will likely have many more days of "hibernation" this long, Manitoban winter. But when spring and summer comes and I am more eager to do more, I do hope I remember to prioritize taking a break as well

No comments:

Post a Comment